Personnel Committee Terms of Reference
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR THE
PERSONNEL COMMITTEE OF
MONKS RISBOROUGH CE PRIMARY SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY
The Membership of the Committee, and the clerk, will be as per the agreed membership grid.
Please note that the Headteacher cannot clerk a Committee.
Members of this Committee who are non-governors will not have voting rights.
The Chairman of the Committee will be elected a quorum of committee members. A quorum will be at least three Governors.
The LEA recommends that it would be best practce not to elect amember of staff as the Chair of the committee.
TERMS OF REFERENCE:
1. To be responsible for determining appointment procedures and in consultation with the Head deciding specifications of any vacant posts. Ensure procedures are implemented for all teaching and non-teaching staff appointments except Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher, when a specially selected appointment panel must be established by the whole Governing Body.
2. To be responsible for ensuring the appointment of staff in line with the following delegation of responsibility, and be involved as necessary:
Appointment of teachers to the Teachers' Pay Spine without additional management allowances requires the presence of one Governor (normally the Chairman of the Committee) and the Headteacher
Appointment of teachers to the Teachers' Pay Spine with additional management point(s) requires the presence of two Governors (one of whom will normally be the Chairman of the Committee) and the Headteacher
Appointment of non teaching staff requires the presence of one Governor together with the Headteacher except for posts for midday meals supervisors and cleaners where the Headteacher has authority to appoint alone
These arrangements will be coordinated by the Headteacher and the Chairman and it will be the policy of the Governing Body to offer all Governors experience in the procedures for appointing staff.
- 2 -
3. To determine the staff complement (liaising with the Finance Committee).
4. To keep under review the following personnel procedures and make recommendations for change to the full Governing Body:
Capability and Ill Health (including absence monitoring)
Leave of Absence
5. To approve Discretionary Leave of Absence in line with the Policy previously agreed by the Governing Body.
6. To receive and determine any applications for Premature Retirement. Any amount of enhancement will be subject to the approval of the Finance Committee. It will be the policy of the Governing Body not to award any enhancement.
7. To be aware of, and advise Governors of, the implications of equal opportunity legislation in relation to personnel functions.
8. To recommend to the whole Governing Body, the appropriate Group size for the school and appropriate pay range for individual members of the Leadership group.
9. To ensure minutes are taken at each meeting and circulated promptly to all members
of the Governing Body and the Clerk to Governors.
This Committee was incorporated by Minute No.7 of the School's Governing Body Meeting held on 22 September 2003. The composition and terms of reference will be reviewed on annually in the Autumn Term.
[Revised September 2003)] Back to top